Saturday, December 8, 2007

Moving day!

Well, I knew that people would be getting up soon and would want to know what is going on in China today, so I am posting without pictures for the time being.

We got up this morning in Nanchang to another day of cold, grey, nasty weather. We left the hotel at 8:00 am and went to the airport for our flight to Guangzhou, in the southern part of China. We had our first bit of trouble when Michelle left our baby wipes box on the bed in the room when we and everyone else had loaded the bus! I ran upstairs like OJ running from the law and retrieved the box and found a pair of pj's we had left of Coee's.

Our next bit of drama was when we went thru security at the airport (and no, I didn't have my knife with me) and I grabbed my backpack, but left our carry-on bag on the x-ray machine. We got to the gate as the plane was loading (traffic problem on the way delayed us a few minutes) and I had to make like OJ again and run and get the bag, luckily it was still there and hadn't been confiscated.

The flight was incredibly easy with Coee. She sat in Michelle's lap and just played for the hour flight. We fixed her a bottle to help her ears during ascent and descent and it worked great.

The last bit of drama was when we got to baggage claim and we are short one checked bag. We still don't have it and don't know if we will get it. It contained some clothes and the porcelain we bought yesterday at the porcelain market.

Oh well.

Our day changed for the better as we drove into the town of Guangzhou. It is a port city and is the 8th largest city in China with a population of something like 12 million people. It is much more modern and westernized than Nanchang and even Beijing. The people we see in the city are much more diverse culturally than in the other two cities. We have seen all nationalities here.

Our next bit of good luck came in the form of our hotel! It is unbelievable.

It is truly a 5-star hotel in every sense of the word. It has fantastic restaurants, great design, and a very sweet room that we now occupy! We have a 2-room suite and it has a separate shower and tub, bedroom with flat screen tv on the wall, living room with flat screen on the wall, a desk with high-speed port, bar area, and a great view. It is very modern in it's decor and each floor is decorated in different style wood and furniture.

The contrast of the cities that we left from today to the one we are in now is shocking. You can tell by the drive in how much more vibrant the economy is here. Although Guangzhou is only the 8th largest city in China, more than 45% of all the tax revenue comes from this one city!

We ate a late lunch at McDonalds and Pizza Hut across from our hotel. We will probably eat at the revolving restaurant on top of our hotel a meal or two.

Here is a link to our hotel:
http://www.thegardenhotel.com.cn/

I will take some pictures of our room and post them later.

Coee is doing great today, no fussing at all and is being taken care of very well by her big brothers.

We filled out our last bit of paperwork tonight (US immigration stuff) and she will be an official citizen very soon.

I will post again either tonight with pictures or tomorrow after our trip to Shiamen Island for shopping and a little adoption business.

Oh yeah, my last bit of good luck came in the form of...............................ESPN! We have it here!!!!!

And....................GO LONE OAK!!!

Talk to you soon,
Terrell

8 comments:

Mike said...

It sounds like someone might be having just a little TV/ESPN withdrawals. We are taking a van to the Lone Oak football game in Lousville today (the family). You can bet this will be my first stop when I get home. Love to All!
Granddaddy Mike

Daniel said...

You will never be the same after this trip. Eveyone needs to go abroad to see that the way we live is not the world in which we live. You see it on TV, you see it no the internet, read about it in the paper but until you walk through it and become part of it you cannot understand the difference. I know our trip changed my views and feelings tremendously about many things.
When we were there I will never forget that the more I went into the rural area and the more I saw the more I wanted to see. It was such a strain on my heart and emotions. I remember going form times of feelings of extreme saddness , wanting to help but not knowing what to do, to times of overwhemling joy thinking how blessed we are.
Enjoy your journey!
Looking forward to having you all home.
Daniel

Unknown said...

Well, all I can say is that you now know what it is like to have three children. Leaving wipes and jammies places, forgetting luggage - all of it - we've been there. Just get used to the wonderful, crazy, colorful,chaotic life of people who are outnumbered by children!

Pam said...

Life does begin a little more hectic with the third or fourth - but you'll get the hang of things and it will be ok. I am looking forward to more pictures and to see where you are now.

Love you all,

Pam

Carolyn said...

Lone Oak lost 49-7. Sounds like you all are moving on up. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Terry & Carolyn

momopeggy said...

I looked at your Hotelagain tonight.Can't wait for pictures of hotel & kids. Lone Oak did'nt do so well at state!!!But they at least got to go. Trey & Dillon I really like to get pictures of you all especially when you smile. love & kisses momo-o

Anonymous said...

Hey it is Kelly.Was in Paducah this week and going through a little Chongs withdrawal :). I can not wait for you to get home, but I am so excited you are getting this awesome experience. Sound like you all are have a wonderful time. I made you a gift you may have to go to MySpace page to it here is the link.

http://www.myspace.com/vastinekelly

I hope you enjoy it. I will add more later. :)

Anonymous said...

I is in my videos...All are welcome to watch :)