Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day 11 in Guangzhou- full free day

Today has been a nice laid back day. We began the day without having to rush to be anywhere at any certain time, so we had a nice leisurely breakfast by the waterfall. It was beautiful...until I spilled a full glass of orange juice on me and my feshly laundered jeans and t-shirt. The remainder of the meal was a bit of a sticky mess. While we had to be in our room from 10:00 to 12:00 to wait for a call from Dennis, and hope to not get one because that would mean the U.S. Consulate was requesting more information, Trey and Dillon worked on their school work. We didn't receive a call from Dennis needing additional information, so we celebrated by taking the kids to the small playground on-site again. They all enjoyed themselves there. Trey and Dillon have been playing with their new Chinese version of the hackey sack all day today. (See pictures of them in the hall below).

After that, we got a taxi to take us to a mall, but we ended up at a textiles mall. It had all of the fabrics and wholesale home goods you could imagine, but that is not what we were in the market for. We hailed another taxi and asked him to take us back to the plaza we went to day before yesterday. We bought a few things there and Terrell enjoyed the bargaining process immensely.

We had dinner tonight at the revolving restaurant on the 30th floor of the hotel. It was a huge seafood buffet and I did not come close to eating enough to justify the price we paid for it. Oh well. It was the experience of it, right? When we first sat down, Trey, Dillon and Terrell all decided that the floor wasn't moving but instead the outside walls and the interior buffet/restaurant section was moving. I disagreed and they argued. The weird thing was that when they came back from filling their plates on the buffet the first time, the surrounding buildings had begun to move too!!! Isn't that weird? Case closed. Coee loved the boiled shrimp and was not a fan of the chocolate cake. Doesn't like chocolate? We will definitely have to work on that. It will come with time.

We are back in the room now. Coee has had a bath and Trey and Dillon are doing a bit of school work again before bed. We are free tomorrow until 3:00 pm, when all of the families will go to the U.S. Consulate to do the adoption swearing in ceremony. Most families are leaving out the day after that, Thursday morning. We will be leaving Friday morning, so we still have two days left to shop and one empty suitcase to fill. We've got our list and work cut out for us.

Again, thank you for all of the comments. They make our day. Keep them coming!! See you all in three days!

Trey and Dillon's class, here are the questions of the day:
What is the longest river in China?
Is it longer or shorter than the longest river in the US?
Bonus points if you know the longest in the US without looking it up!





This is Trey and Dillon playing Chinese hacky sack in our hallway of the hotel. The hacky sack is very much like a badmitton birdie with additional weight on the nose of it.

Trey and Dillon fed the fish after breakfast this morning. The fish are big fans of the bread at the buffet!



Trey and Dillon helped Coee go "up" the slide several times today!


This is Liwan Plaze and is a huge shopping area attached to a few malls all around it! There were thousands of people there today, which is pretty common because there are thousands of people everywhere in a city of 12 million! One mall that we went into has all jewelry on one side of the circular plaza and clothes and miscellaneous stuff on the other side. The jewelry stores are incredible with 3' tall, 18" diameter bags full of pearls! The workers are constantly working packing boxes to ship to stores all over the world.




Coee loves her some bathtime!!! This is the sink in our bathroom.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi ya'll, sounds like Coee has blended in so well and you are really enjoying Guangzhou. I can't wait to get your reactions to the adoption swearing in. It will take you longer to travel to your destination that the actual swearing in will last. We are anxious for Friday and finally getting to meet Coee! Each day at school they have a prayer time and Carson prayed for a fun time and safe trip home for Trey and Dillon yesterday. (Sorry Terrell, Michelle and Coee she didn't mention you, I suppose you'll have fun and be safe by association. Ha)
We have really enjoyed your post. Bless, Jill and the gang

Pam said...

I'm on a count down - I am so excited to meet my little great-niece. She looks so full of life and what a life she will have. Enjoy your time left and be safe on trip home.

Love,

Pam

Mike said...

I going Christmas shopping for Trey and Dillon! I think I will get them Ramon noodles! I refuse to buy underwear for Terrell!!! Continue to have a great time. Wow are you going to have lot's of visits when you get home.
Love Granddaddy Mike

Tamara, Steve and Matthew said...

3'TALL BAGS OF PEARLS!!! Now I know where all those tiny strings of pearls I buy from Ebay are coming from--WOW. Glad I'm not at that store--I'd leave all my belongings and fill my suitcase with pearls! Matthew and I were watching a show on Discovery Channel last night about China and I kept saying "Trey and Dillon are there" and "I'll bet Trey and Dillon saw that!" Maybe they should have a class when they get back to tell about all their experiences...OK--Coee may have to develop her love for chocolate but I think she'll probably get surrounded with it enough that it'll come with time...and I'm sure the WHOLE family will be glad to help her! (PS--I was up until 11 pm last night baking 16 dozen chocolate chip cookies and I still smell like a cookie...I'll have to make her some someday!) Have a wonderful day!

momopeggy said...

Great pictures today also some sunshine today first in about 4 days.We head for computer first thing each morning Sounds like serious shopping next few days. I looked in my jewelry box & guess what? No PEARLS!!!! Bop BOP would be glad to give them to me if they are too expensive for you all!!!Trey & Dillon those fish don't look like KY. Lake fish.BB said can you catch one?? Each picture of Coee looks happier. We can hardly wait for Fri. nite. Love Mom-o & Bop Bop.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

Amy & I have been following your story -- very exciting :) We are sure eager to meet Coee!!!

Love you guys,
Brad, Amy
Ben, Matt, Megan, & Emily

Nolan and Macie said...

Well I will let you guys get over your jet lag berfore i come a buggin you. BUT YOU KNOW I CAN NOT WAIT :)..

On another note we have a really good Chinese restu. that just opened in e-vill. I know you are probly sick of eating that stuff right now. But we are going when you get back and have time.

I hope you guys are having fun.